238d, Posted for: Whole Community

Mark Jones Thoughts on Henry Fielding book: The History of Tom Jones"

Posted by: Mark Jones

{"ops":[{"attributes":{"bold":true},"insert":"Thoughts on Henry Fielding book \"The History of Tom Jones\""},{"insert":"\n\nHaving recently completed reading and discussing this excellent novel written in 1749 I have drafted a summary of some of the key ideas I believe Fielding was conveying in his book, presented as Fielding may have put them (recognizing I have not captured the old English style he would have spoken). These ideas nicely complement the ideas found in many of our previous study group readings, reinforcing my ongoing learning. I highly recommend the book, especially when the messages contained through the story are sought, reflected on, and related back to your own thinking and life. Initially the book can seem tedious at times as Fielding regularly diverts from the story to make what may seem irrelevant points. However, for me at least, I can see my impatience has been learned through prior superficial readings of books focusing on the plot and wanting to know what happens next. When I was able to relax and not hurry, I could discover the apparent diversions held valuable messages relevant to both the story and to life. As with the writings of the “Ancients” (i.e. philosophers) I am continually in awe of the relevance and personal value to me of the thinking and life they promoted so long ago.\n\nMany of Fielding’s ideas I have summarized below have direct relevance to critical thinking. There are many examples throughout the book where characters made poor assumptions based on incomplete information that had unfortunate, even disastrous consequences. The characters were typically biased in their point of view leading to inaccurate inferences. Reflection on these examples and Fielding’s ideas applied to my own thinking and life, as attempted with all our readings, reinforces my understanding of critical thinking while promoting my ongoing critique of how well I think and act in my own life. \n \n"},{"attributes":{"bold":true},"insert":"Henry Fielding: A Brief Summary of What Life Teaches"},{"insert":"\n\nI truly hope you enjoyed my book. What follows is the briefest of summaries of not simply ideas, but observations and lessons from life.\n\nSadly, many people are inherently motivated by concern for their own interests. This was a recurring character flaw evident throughout the book, as with the apparent devotion Partridge has to Tom, more rightly seen as the scheme it was to gain forgiveness and potential reward from Allworthy. The shining exception is, of course, our heroine Sophia, whose thoughts and behaviors emanate from her virtuous being.\n\nBut keep in mind, with but a few exceptions, a person’s (such as our hero Tom Jones) character cannot be seen or defined by any single event, misstep, weakness, or incident against the law, however offensive they may seem. The impetuosity of youth, incomplete education and harsh circumstances society commonly deals out, can result in good people making mistakes. Nor should character be equated to one’s status in society as the noblest of Lords can be scoundrels and the lowest in society’s trenches can possess the best of hearts. \n\nSociety can be ignorant, no more evident than its beliefs and customs that men are inherently wiser than females. This mistaken injustice is exemplified through the immensely superior character seen in Sophia and wisdom displayed by Mrs. Western.\n\nLife is difficult to predict as “Trains of little Circumstances” often lead to significant consequences. And if life’s unforeseen twists and turns are not enough to create havoc, the tendency of too many to make unjustified assumptions only compounds the chaos when the resultant misinterpretations inevitably lead to disaster.\n\nJustice is paramount and can only be achieved by avoiding premature judgment until all facts are laid bare. Then when faults are proven it is important to retain a “forgiving temper”. However, while dishonesty can be forgiven, when accompanied with blacker crimes such as “cruelty, murder, and ingratitude”, compassion and forgiveness are misplaced, indeed are faults inappropriately applied. Ultimately providence has its say in dealing with villainy and unvirtuousness.\n\nWhile education is invaluable, the value of what is learned is only realized when applied to life’s experiences. For however exquisitely human nature may have been described in the writings of others, the true practical system can be learnt only in the world. Positions of authority and scholastic credentials mean nothing if not accompanied by good judgment, creativity, and most importantly personal experience in application, not just of knowledge but in all aspects of the self, including one’s virtue.  \n"}]}

Comments

Posted by: Gerald Nosich

{"ops":[{"insert":"Hello Mark,\nI appreciated many of your thoughts and your summary (or analysis) of "},{"attributes":{"italic":true},"insert":"Tom Jones"},{"insert":". It's been many years since I read it, so I can't comment on points you make about specific characters.\n\nOne move you make early on was about point of view. Most of the time, when people analyze the points of view relevant to a novel, they address ideas and actions--ideas of the author, ideas and actions of the characters. Thus they might address how, say, Squire Western saw a situation and then why he did such-and-such. You do that, but you take "},{"attributes":{"italic":true},"insert":"point of view"},{"insert":" nicely forward. You address the appeal of the novel to the reader, specifically to the different points of view of an 18th-Century reader versus a plot-focused 21st-Century reader. Then you take on that earlier aesthetic point of view as you continued reading. It shows that point of view can be used in a much richer way than is usually the case.\n\nIn your Summary, too, you used point of view as a background. What you are aiming to do is to explicate or analyze Fielding's point of view. Your aim was not to pass judgment on the validity of his point view, but rather to lay out his point of view. Thus when you say that with blacker crimes, compassion and forgiveness are misplaced, you are explicating how Fielding thinks of things. You don't say whether you agree or disagree--and that is actually as it should be. To me, Fielding's sentiment partakes of 18th-Century harshness. But notice that what I've just said steps out of analyzing Fielding's point of view in the novel. And that is commendably not part of what you write. Good job of removing your own point of view from the analysis of Fielding's.\n"}]}

Top ▲