1y, Posted for: Whole Community

Flower in the crannied wall

Posted by: Behnam Jafari

{"ops":[{"insert":"\n\nA poem by Alfred Tennyson:\n\n"},{"attributes":{"color":"#141823"},"insert":"\"Flower in the crannied wall,"},{"insert":"\n"},{"attributes":{"color":"#141823"},"insert":"I pluck you out of the crannies,"},{"insert":"\n"},{"attributes":{"color":"#141823"},"insert":"I hold you here, root and all, in my hand,"},{"insert":"\n"},{"attributes":{"color":"#141823"},"insert":"Little flower—but if I could understand"},{"insert":"\n"},{"attributes":{"color":"#141823"},"insert":"What you are, root and all, all in all,"},{"insert":"\n"},{"attributes":{"color":"#141823"},"insert":"I should know what God and man is.\""},{"insert":"\n\n"},{"attributes":{"color":"#141823"},"insert":"In one of Richard Paul's videos on Critical Thinking and interrelated systems of concepts, I learned about this powerful poem and I wanted to share with you. What questions should we ask to know more about the flower? "},{"insert":"\n\n"}]}

Comments

Posted by: Kathy Goddard

{"ops":[{"insert":"Thank you, Behnam, for posting this poem by Tennyson. My wonderings: 1. What reason did the narrator of the poem have to pluck the flower from the wall? -- Because it was growing in the wrong place or because it was the source of his musings or ...? 2. What are the implications of \"plucking\" the flower and, thereby, beginning its death? 3. By holding the flower, did the narrator demonstrate the fragility of life or a reverence for life? 4. Is there any significance in the word \"little\". 4. What was Tennyson's purpose for writing this poem? \n\nLife itself is a wonder. Would that we all valued that.\n"}]}

Posted by: Behnam Jafari

{"ops":[{"insert":"Thank you for your insightful questions, dear Kathy. I think we can have a lot to dig into this poem. I am trying to share my own thoughts on this poem. The context in which I perceive this poem is rather different from the context you provided. What is bold to me here is that Tennyson is trying to relate the system of interrelated concepts. In other words, he tries to tell us that we can reach to a huge macro concept of God from a micro concept of a root of flower. For instance, a flower consists of a root, a stem and leaves. Then, a root needs soil and water. Soil and water, next, are elements of Earth. Now, we explore more in Earth to know what it is. Then, we learn that Earth is just a tiny particle of our MilkyWay galaxy. Then, again we notice that MilkyWay galaxy itself is one of numerous galaxies in the universe. Now, if we learn what is the universe, then we are ready to answer the question that Is universe created by a supernatural power which is so-called a God. Therefore, I see this line of reasoning in Tennyson's poem.\nWhat I learned from Richard Paul in his lecture is that we need to apply this system of interrelated concepts in our teaching and learning. \n\nKathy, I have also a couple of wonderings for you: in all of your questions I could see an element of being victimized? Seeing a flower as a innocent, fragile, vulnerable, defenseless, and easy to be harmed. My questions would then be:\ndo you see this element of being victimized in your questions?"},{"attributes":{"list":"ordered"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"Do you think it comes from the point of view or from the context? "},{"attributes":{"list":"ordered"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"After long time, if you read the poem do you think you still will see this element in your perception of this poem?"},{"attributes":{"list":"ordered"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"\nThank you Kathy again for your deep insightful questions, I hope I was able to show you the different context in which I suppose Tennyson is trying to share with us the system of interrelated concepts. \n\n"}]}

Top ▲