1y, Posted for: Whole Community

Digging into Tennyson's poem

Posted by: Behnam Jafari

{"ops":[{"insert":"Thanks to Kathy and her comment on Tennyson's poem which I shared before, I thought it can be an interesting topic if we could share our thoughts on this poem and how we perceive it based on our Critical Thinking concepts. I\nThe poem by Alfred Tennyson is:\n\n"},{"attributes":{"color":"#141823"},"insert":"\"Flower in the crannied wall,"},{"insert":"\n"},{"attributes":{"color":"#141823"},"insert":"I pluck you out of the crannies,"},{"insert":"\n"},{"attributes":{"color":"#141823"},"insert":"I hold you here, root and all, in my hand,"},{"insert":"\n"},{"attributes":{"color":"#141823"},"insert":"Little flower—but if I could understand"},{"insert":"\n"},{"attributes":{"color":"#141823"},"insert":"What you are, root and all, all in all,"},{"insert":"\n"},{"attributes":{"color":"#141823"},"insert":"I should know what God and man is.\""},{"insert":"\n\n"},{"attributes":{"color":"#141823"},"insert":"My thoughts:"},{"insert":"\n\nWhat is bold to me here is that Tennyson is trying to relate the system of interrelated concepts. In other words, he tries to tell us that we can reach to a huge macro concept of God from a micro concept of a root of flower. For instance, a flower consists of a root, a stem and leaves. Then, a root needs soil and water. Soil and water, next, are elements of Earth. Now, we explore more in Earth to know what it is. Then, we learn that Earth is just a tiny particle of our MilkyWay galaxy. Then, again we notice that MilkyWay galaxy itself is one of numerous galaxies in the universe. Now, if we learn what is the universe, then we are ready to answer the question that: is universe created by a supernatural power which is so-called a God. Therefore, I see this line of reasoning in Tennyson's poem.\n\nWhat I learned from Richard Paul in his lecture is that we need to apply this system of interrelated concepts in our teaching and learning. \n\nThank you for reading my thoughts.\nBehnam\n"}]}

Comments

Be the first to comment!

Top ▲