1y, Posted for: Whole Community

Intellectual Humility podcast homeworks

{"ops":[{"insert":"The organizing idea is about the intellectual virtue of intellectual humility as\nthe ability to distinguish what we know from what we do not know (also known as \"meta-cognition\"),"},{"attributes":{"list":"bullet"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"the suspicion that we might be wrong or not have key information "},{"attributes":{"list":"bullet"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"and the idea that you may need some knowledge that you don't have."},{"attributes":{"list":"bullet"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"\n3 Insights I got from watching the podcast are:\nOur purpose (as a person) or values can be a form a cognitive biases."},{"attributes":{"list":"bullet"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":" About mistakes:"},{"attributes":{"list":"bullet"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"Being clear about our purpose and values hierarchy can put mistake in their relative place of importance."},{"attributes":{"indent":1,"list":"bullet"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"Damage may come more from not taking into account all the important variables in our goal-seeking behaviours than from thinking errors."},{"attributes":{"indent":1,"list":"bullet"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"For example, the thinking that got our societies into its current problems (like the environnemental ones) are akin to \"gross intellectual moves\" that didn't take into account other important variable (comparison to gross muscular movement and fine muscular movements) , The kind of thinking needed now is more like fine intellectual movements which take into account more variables and values. The gross intellectual move stage of humanity was probably a necessary developmental stage to the finer thinking."},{"attributes":{"indent":1,"list":"bullet"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"Some otherwise preventable mistakes may or may not be preventable based on the allocated attention and energy budget given to the task and to each value and their priority one might want to optimize in the endeavour."},{"attributes":{"indent":1,"list":"bullet"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"Multivariable calculus teaches that we can't optimize something for two values (or more) equally, a relative order of priority must be given to each value."},{"attributes":{"indent":2,"list":"bullet"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"\nQuestions:\nIsn't some level of intellectual arrogance inevitable as at some point we must take and defend positions despite being uncertain and not having complete knowledge?"},{"attributes":{"list":"bullet"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"Can knowledge of self be a good and sufficient protection against indoctrinations?"},{"attributes":{"list":"bullet"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"If intellectual humility deprioritize the importance of our current knowledge in favour of knowledge we do not yet have and deprioritize our sense of our self-importance or our group's importance in favour of conceptual notions of the problematics, could we say that part of intellectual humility is prioritizing talking about ideas instead of talking about people or events and putting the ideas at the forefront?"},{"attributes":{"list":"bullet"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"\t\nOther comments:\nI think making the distinction from general semantics of the difference between the \"object\" level and the \"description\" level can create an instant sense of intellectual humility as the world of objects is way more detailed and complex than what any strings of words could ever describe, so there is always some information being left out of any description.(The object level being the non-verbal world out there that we can sense through our sensory organs, like the colors we see when we look at the object of a \"pen\", and the description level being the world of words we use to describe the object level and other things, like the word \"pen\") "},{"attributes":{"list":"bullet"},"insert":"\n"}]}

Comments

Posted by: Gerald Nosich

{"ops":[{"insert":"Hello Nick,\nLet me comment on just one remark you make.\n\nYou say: \"Multivariable calculus teaches that we can't optimize something for two values (or more) equally, a relative order of priority must be given to each value.\" That's a nice analogy, and I want to thank you for it. Many preventable mistakes arise because I give one value a higher priority than it deserves. (A simple example: A person may put a higher priority on the value of getting home quickly than on the value of avoiding the danger of driving with a buzz.)\n\nStill, though, a problem with the calculus example is that calculus is universal and time-invariant. I don't think it's realistic for a person to sit down and calculate which of their value to prioritize. We can do that sometimes, of course, but our values shift from moment to moment. The value of taking care of my family may outweigh for me the value of being on-time for work. Still, I need to be on time for work! It may be reasonable to put aside a \"more important\" value for a more immediate one. \n\n"}]}

Top ▲