Welcome to the
Center for Critical Thinking
Our community invites all to join who want to advance fairminded critical
thinking across your work and life. This community is sponsored by The
Foundation for Critical Thinking and its donors.
Our community members advance and foster basic concepts and principles
in critical thinking.
Welcome and Tutorial from the President - Play Video
What We Do with Your Membership Fees
Your membership fees support the work of the Foundation for Critical Thinking, which has been advancing and cultivating fairminded critical thinking in education and society for almost 40 years.
- Access to the entire online library published by the Foundation for Critical Thinking.
- Digital access to all the educational materials published by the Foundation for Critical Thinking, - including posters, and laminated cards that you may freely print and use.
- Digital access to partial copies of the Thinker’s Guide Library.
- Digital access to decades’ worth of videos and audio files produced by the Foundation for Critical Thinking. This includes classic and rare video footage of Dr. Richard Paul, as well as video footage of other Foundation for Critical Thinking Fellows and Scholars, including Dr. Linda Elder and Dr. Gerald Nosich.
- Get current critical thinking news every day in our newsroom. Comment on these articles, share them with your colleagues, and rate them according to their levels of clarity, significance, relevance, and depth.
- Read the active blog of the Foundation for Critical Thinking.
- Through our ConneCT section,
- Communicate and network with any member of the Critical Thinking Café through our internal messaging system.
- Post your work products to share with your critical thinking colleagues and friends.
- Post your critical thinking research.
- Highlight critical thinking articles from our newsroom that you believe to be significant.
- Set up your own exclusive forum of critical thinking colleagues, with whom you prefer to communicate.
- Choose departments to connect with, including professional departments.
- For educators, Post and Share your instructional design strategies and activities with your critical thinking education colleagues, and discuss your classroom trials, tribulations, victories, and challenges.
- Access and create job postings in which employers are seeking employees who strive to be increasingly skilled critical thinkers.
- Join with up to five other critical thinking colleagues to form Study Groups, held online, in real time, and which you can customize according to your schedules. (Sign up in Study Groups with Members section.)
- Learn the foundational tools of critical thinking, as well as how to apply these tools in everyday life and in the professions, through our Critical Thinking Academy. These involve reading and working through written activities. For many of our activities, we offer our specimen answers for you to read after working through them yourself. You may print and share your work with colleagues, friends, family members, and partners. Our academy includes:
- The Wheel of Reason (which teaches the Elements or Parts of Thinking).
- Criteria Corner (which teaches the Universal Standards or Criteria for Thinking).
- The Wall of Barriers (which warns us to pay attention to the intrinsic problems of egocentric and sociocentric aspects of your thinking).
- The Triangle of Thinking, Feelings, and Desires (which teaches the conceptual relationships between thoughts, emotions, and desires while targeting thinking as the fundamental key to emotional intelligence and a healthy emotional life).
- Reading and Writing Alcove (which teaches close reading and deep comprehension of any text worth reading, while also fostering and developing your writing abilities).
- If you are in higher education administration, register as an institutional member so all your faculty and students can learn the tools of critical thinking here. We can work with your institution to offer college level credit for your students at undergraduate and graduate levels.
Your membership fees contribute to the following projects and events, among others, under the auspices of the Foundation for Critical Thinking:
- Development and coordination of our annual Annual International Conference on Critical Thinking, which is the longest-running annual conference on critical thinking in the world.
- Scholarships for deserving teachers and administrators to attend our Aannual International Conference.
- Worldwide open Access to our research and assessment tools, as well as many other resources for outreach at CriticalThinking.org, (the official website of the Foundation for Critical Thinking).
- The maintenance of the Foundation for Critical Thinking Archives, which begin before the establishment of the Center for Critical Thinking in 1980.
- The development of our audio and video library, including classic audio and video footage from the Foundation for Critical Thinking Archives. Much of this material has never been accessible to the public and will increasingly be made available exclusively through the Critical Thinking Community website.
- The development of our extensive and unique library of critical thinking print materials housed at the Foundation for Critical Thinking.
The Foundation for Critical Thinking, a 501(c)(3) organization, is one of the longest-running think tanks in the world advancing fairminded critical thinking. The Foundation for Critical Thinking advocates freedom of speech and freedom of thought throughout the world. CriticalThinking.org