Blog Post: What is Happiness? Is it Attainable? How Happy are You?

Linda Elder
Jan 18, 2022 • 2y ago
What is Happiness? Is it Attainable? How Happy are You?

{"ops":[{"attributes":{"color":"windowtext"},"insert":"Happiness is a state of mind that can be achieved, not every minute of every day, not at every time of life, of course, but as an overall orientation to life. It entails feelings of pleasure, contentment and joy. And it is tied to higher purposes worth achieving and worth living for."},{"insert":"\n"},{"attributes":{"color":"windowtext"},"insert":" "},{"insert":"\n"},{"attributes":{"color":"windowtext"},"insert":"When happiness does not come naturally to you, you will need to think critically about your life to determine how to achieve higher degrees of happiness, which includes pursuing your own needs and desires, while being concerned with contributing to the common good."},{"insert":"\n"},{"attributes":{"color":"windowtext"},"insert":" "},{"insert":"\n"},{"attributes":{"color":"windowtext"},"insert":"When was the last time you felt happy, contented, joyful? What were you doing? Were you alone or with someone? Write out your answer with details. [Realize that if you are experiencing a period of grief due to, for instance, the loss of a loved one, you will not expect to be happy and joyful until the grief subsides over some period of time.]"},{"insert":"\n"},{"attributes":{"color":"windowtext"},"insert":" "},{"insert":"\n"},{"attributes":{"color":"windowtext"},"insert":"What do you want to experience most in your life? In other words, what are your most significant purposes? For example, perhaps…"},{"insert":"\n"},{"attributes":{"color":"windowtext"},"insert":"           A Meaningful intimate relationship"},{"insert":"\n"},{"attributes":{"color":"windowtext"},"insert":"           Financial Freedom"},{"insert":"\n"},{"attributes":{"color":"windowtext"},"insert":"           A better job or career"},{"insert":"\n"},{"attributes":{"color":"windowtext"},"insert":"           Peace within yourself"},{"insert":"\n\t"},{"attributes":{"color":"windowtext"},"insert":"Contributing to an important cause"},{"insert":"\n"},{"attributes":{"color":"windowtext"},"insert":" "},{"insert":"\n"},{"attributes":{"color":"windowtext"},"insert":"Considering the examples above, write down what "},{"attributes":{"italic":true,"color":"windowtext","bold":true},"insert":"you"},{"attributes":{"color":"windowtext"},"insert":" want to experience in your life  - something currently missing but important to you:"},{"insert":"\n"},{"attributes":{"color":"windowtext"},"insert":" "},{"insert":"\n"},{"attributes":{"color":"windowtext"},"insert":"           1."},{"insert":"\n"},{"attributes":{"color":"windowtext"},"insert":"           2."},{"insert":"\n"},{"attributes":{"color":"windowtext"},"insert":"           3."},{"insert":"\n\t\t "},{"attributes":{"color":"windowtext"},"insert":"4."},{"insert":"\n\t\t "},{"attributes":{"color":"windowtext"},"insert":"5."},{"insert":"\n"},{"attributes":{"color":"windowtext"},"insert":" "},{"insert":"\n"},{"attributes":{"color":"windowtext"},"insert":"For each of your identified purposes above, complete the following:"},{"insert":"\n"},{"attributes":{"color":"windowtext"},"insert":"1.    What I really want to experience is…In other words my purpose is to achieve…"},{"insert":"\n"},{"attributes":{"color":"windowtext"},"insert":"2.    The reason(s) I have not achieved this purpose to this point is…"},{"insert":"\n"},{"attributes":{"color":"windowtext"},"insert":"3.    In other words the thinking I have been doing that has held me back from achieving this purpose is (BE HONEST)…"},{"insert":"\n"},{"attributes":{"color":"windowtext"},"insert":"4.    The thinking I need to do to achieve this purpose is as follows…"},{"insert":"\n"},{"attributes":{"color":"windowtext"},"insert":"5.    Based on this analysis I intend to…"},{"insert":"\n\n ----\nThis material in this blog comes from the upcoming book: "},{"attributes":{"italic":true},"insert":"Critical Thinking Therapy for Mental Health and Self-Actualization: Workbook"},{"insert":", by Linda Elder in press.\n\nPlease let me know whether you benefitted from working through this set of activities or how you might modify or add to these activities.\n"}]}

562 Views     0 Comments

Submit a comment

Comments

Be the first to comment!