Blog Post: Thank You For Your Membership, and Help Us Continue Our Work

Linda Elder
Dec 20, 2023 • 220d ago
Thank You For Your Membership, and Help Us Continue Our Work

{"ops":[{"attributes":{"size":"large"},"insert":" "},{"insert":"\n"},{"attributes":{"color":"#403f42","size":"large"},"insert":"As we approach 2024, I want to first thank you for your membership in this community and your work in advancing critical thinking wherever you have influence. I also hope you will consider us in your end-of-year charity giving. As the world's longest-running non-profit organization dedicated to advancing fairminded critical thinking, we have survived 43 years with few major benefactors, and with almost no grant funding. We are a rare entity in that our scholarship is unfettered by outside influences from business, government, and other monied interests."},{"attributes":{"italic":true,"size":"large","bold":true},"insert":" But now we need help to continue our work."},{"insert":"\n\n"},{"attributes":{"color":"#403f42","size":"large"},"insert":"The Foundation for Critical Thinking was founded on the understanding that most major problems in modern human societies result from preventable failures in human reasoning. Today, this is clearer than ever: all major impending threats to human survival are a direct function of erroneous human action and the faulty thinking that underlies it. The climate crisis, nuclear proliferation, destructive manipulation through mass media (including social media), breakdowns in democracy, and other human-caused dangers have demonstrated what happens when poor reasoning rules the day. Sadly, disciplined freedom of speech and freedom of thought are rarely encouraged anywhere in schooling or society. For these and many other reasons, this community is so important."},{"insert":"\n\n"},{"attributes":{"color":"#403f42","size":"large"},"insert":"And there are glimmers of hope: all of you who are members of this community are vital to our work, through your continued commitment to critical thinking and through your membership itself. Further, we realize that many of you have used our work to start important local and regional projects in service of a more enlightened and sustainable future. Environmental, educational, and social initiatives in critical thinking still have the potential to evolve from ambitious goals to real forces for change. To all of you who are using critical thinking concepts and tools to make a difference – whether at home, at work, in the classroom, in your community, or anywhere else that quality reasoning can make a difference – we applaud your efforts and achievements. Human societies can only thrive when fairminded critical thinking is valued across the globe and when it becomes the norm human life."},{"insert":"\n\n"},{"attributes":{"color":"#403f42","size":"large"},"insert":"If this community has made a difference in your life, work, teaching, or learning, and if you can, we hope you will make a year-end contribution to our efforts. "},{"insert":"\n\n"},{"attributes":{"size":"large","color":"#403f42"},"insert":"You may enjoy reading some of the comments we've received from contributors across the world:"},{"insert":"\n"},{"attributes":{"color":"#403f42","size":"large"},"insert":" "},{"attributes":{"indent":1},"insert":"\n"},{"attributes":{"color":"#403f42","size":"large"},"insert":"\"Critical thinking has helped me find who I am and what I am to do and to believe. I am proud to be an advocate of critical thinking.\""},{"attributes":{"indent":1},"insert":"\n"},{"attributes":{"color":"#403f42","size":"large"},"insert":" "},{"attributes":{"indent":1},"insert":"\n"},{"attributes":{"color":"#403f42","size":"large"},"insert":"\"I hope you will be able to continue your commendable work!\""},{"attributes":{"indent":1},"insert":"\n"},{"attributes":{"color":"#403f42","size":"large"},"insert":" "},{"attributes":{"indent":1},"insert":"\n"},{"attributes":{"color":"#403f42","size":"large"},"insert":"\"Because of my interest in critical thinking, Richard Paul recommended that I become a student volunteer at the International Conference on Critical Thinking. I did so for three years, starting in 2011. These experiences forever impacted me, and I am indebted to the work the foundation does. Keep up the great work!\""},{"attributes":{"indent":1},"insert":"\n"},{"attributes":{"size":"large"},"insert":" "},{"attributes":{"indent":1},"insert":"\n\n"},{"attributes":{"size":"large"},"insert":" "},{"attributes":{"size":"large","color":"#403f42"},"insert":"\"I have much gratitude towards the Foundation for providing invaluable resources on thinking and learning. I use these tools regularly with my work in academic support.\""},{"attributes":{"indent":1},"insert":"\n"},{"attributes":{"color":"#403f42","size":"large"},"insert":" "},{"attributes":{"indent":1},"insert":"\n"},{"attributes":{"color":"#403f42","size":"large"},"insert":"\"Please accept my small but supportive donation to your organization. I used your website in conjunction with other material used in a course I teach at a local college. I and others found your website to be a valuable resource. My best to you all in the coming year.\""},{"attributes":{"indent":1},"insert":"\n"},{"attributes":{"color":"#403f42","size":"large"},"insert":" "},{"attributes":{"indent":1},"insert":"\n"},{"attributes":{"color":"#403f42","size":"large"},"insert":"\"Given in appreciation for your work that has benefited my life, and the complimentary guides I've received in the past.\""},{"attributes":{"indent":1},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"\n"},{"attributes":{"size":"large","color":"#c03e30","bold":true},"insert":" "},{"attributes":{"size":"large"},"insert":"Visit our"},{"attributes":{"size":"large","bold":true},"insert":" "},{"attributes":{"bold":true,"size":"large","color":"#294b93","link":"https://www.criticalthinking.org/donate.php"},"insert":"Donations Page"},{"attributes":{"size":"large","color":"#4d1913","bold":true},"insert":" "},{"attributes":{"size":"large","color":"#4d1913"},"insert":"to learn more about how your contributions can help. "},{"attributes":{"bold":true,"size":"large","color":"#9933ff","link":"https://www.paypal.com/donate/?hosted_button_id=K5RBKT68857J8"},"insert":"Please Contribute Today"},{"insert":"\n\n\n"},{"attributes":{"color":"#403f42","size":"large"},"insert":"I deeply appreciate your support of critical thinking and hope you can help us keep our work going and keep our doors open into the future."},{"insert":"\n\n"},{"attributes":{"color":"#403f42","size":"large"},"insert":"Thank you, each and every one of you, for your many contributions to critical thinking."},{"insert":"\n\n\n"},{"attributes":{"size":"large"},"insert":" "},{"insert":"\n"},{"attributes":{"size":"large"},"insert":" "},{"insert":"\n"}]}

117 Views     0 Comments

Submit a comment

Comments

Be the first to comment!