Blog Post: [Part 5] The Contribution of Philosophy to Thinking

Richard Paul Archives
Oct 17, 2024 • 8d ago
[Part 5] The Contribution of Philosophy to Thinking

{"ops":[{"attributes":{"bold":true},"insert":"[Missed Part 4? "},{"attributes":{"bold":true,"link":"https://community.criticalthinking.org/blogPost.php?param=244"},"insert":"Read It Here"},{"attributes":{"bold":true},"insert":"]"},{"insert":"\n"},{"attributes":{"bold":true},"insert":" "},{"insert":"\n"},{"attributes":{"italic":true,"bold":true},"insert":"Why Children Need to Think Philosophically [3 of 3]"},{"insert":"\n \nLet me now explore the conceptual side of the question further by suggesting some kinds of philosophical issues embedded, not only in the lives of children, but also in the lives of adults:\n \nWho am I? What am I like? What are the people around me like? What are people of different backgrounds, religions, and nations like? How much am I like others? How much am I unlike them? What kind of a world do I live in? When should I trust? When should I distrust? What should I accept? What should I question? How should I understand my past, the pasts of my parents, my ethnic group, my religion, my nation? Who are my friends? Who are my enemies? What is a friend? How am I like and unlike my enemy? What is most important to me? How should I live my life? What responsibilities do I have to others? What responsibilities do they have to me? What responsibilities do I have to my friends? Do I have any responsibilities to people I don’t like? To people who don’t like me? To my enemies? Do my parents love me? Do I love them? What is love? What is hate? What is indifference? Does it matter if others do not approve of me? When does it matter? When should I ignore what others think? What rights do I have? What rights should I give to others? What should I do if others do not respect my rights? Should I get what I want? Should I question what I want? Should I take what I want if I am strong or smart enough to get await with it? Who comes out ahead in this world, the strong or the good person? Is it worthwhile to be good? Are authorities good or just strong?"},{"attributes":{"indent":1},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":" \nI do not assume that children must reflect on all or even most of the questions that professional philosophers consider – although the preceding list contains many concepts that professional philosophers tackle. To cultivate philosophical thinking, one does not force students to think in a sophisticated way before they are ready. Each student can contribute to a philosophical discussion thoughts which help other students to orient themselves within a range of thoughts, some of which support or enrich and some of which conflict with other thoughts. Different students achieve different levels of understanding. There is no reason to try to force any given student to achieve a particular level of understanding. But the point is that we can lead young students into philosophical discussions which help them begin to:\n\nsee the significance and relevance of basic philosophical questions to understanding themselves and the world about them,"},{"attributes":{"list":"ordered"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"understand the problematic character of human thought and the need to probe deeply into it,"},{"attributes":{"list":"ordered"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"gain insights into what it takes to make thinking more rational, critical, and fairminded,"},{"attributes":{"list":"ordered"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"organize their thinking globally across subject matter divisions,"},{"attributes":{"list":"ordered"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"achieve initial command over their own thought processes, and"},{"attributes":{"list":"ordered"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"come to believe in the value and power of their own minds."},{"attributes":{"list":"ordered"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"\nIn the transcript that follows, a normal 4"},{"attributes":{"script":"super"},"insert":"th"},{"insert":" grade class is led to discuss a variety of basic ideas: how the mind works, the nature of mind, why different people interpret the same events differently, the relationship between emotions and mental interpretations, the nature and origin of personality, nature versus nurture, peer group influence on the mind, cultural differences, free will versus determinism, the basis for ethical and unethical behavior, the basis for reputation, the relation of reputation to goodness, mental illness, social prejudice and sociocentrism, and the importance of thinking for oneself. This transcript represents the first philosophical discussion this particular class had and although it is clear from some of their answers that their present degree of insight into the ideas being discussed is limited, it is also clear that they are capable of pursuing those insights and of articulating important philosophical ideas that could be explored in greater and greater depth over time.\n"}]}

434 Views     0 Comments

Submit a comment

Comments

Be the first to comment!