2y, Posted for: Whole Community

Ego and Humility

Posted by: Joseph Halter

{"ops":[{"insert":"I live in Wisconsin so therefore my sociocentric thinking supports teams from this state. One of those teams, is the Milwaukee Bucks who just won the World Championship in the NBA finals recently.\nOne of the big reasons for the victories, is the play of "},{"attributes":{"color":"#1a1a1a"},"insert":"Giannis Antetokounmpo, a super star in the league."},{"insert":"\n\n"},{"attributes":{"color":"#1a1a1a"},"insert":"He was"},{"attributes":{"color":"#1a1a1a","link":"https://youtu.be/-qLchg4xkOY"},"insert":" interviewed r"},{"attributes":{"color":"#1a1a1a"},"insert":"ecently on his play and his mental preparation for his play. I wanted to share his comments here, since he reflects on ego, humility and purpose, components of critical thinking. "},{"insert":"\n\n"},{"attributes":{"color":"#1a1a1a"},"insert":"I would appreciate your feedback on this and whether you agree or disagree or have additional comments to present. "},{"insert":"\n"}]}

Comments

Posted by: Sandra Maddock

{"ops":[{"insert":"Thanks for sharing this link! I love his humility and his ability to articulate how ego and pride can be obstacles to success. I'm not sure that this demonstrates his ability or inability to think critically, but it definitely shows that he has some important traits that will help him! :) I might use this link to share with doctors that I work with who sometimes get in their own ways (ego/pride) when making decisions. \n"}]}

Posted by: Joseph Halter

{"ops":[{"insert":"Sandra, thank you for reviewing and glad that you found it helpful. One of the traits of a critical thinker is intellectual humility.\nAccording to the Center for Critical Thinking, "},{"attributes":{"bold":true},"insert":"Intellectual Humility"},{"insert":": \"Having a consciousness of the limits of one's knowledge, including a sensitivity to circumstances in which one's native egocentrism is likely to function self-deceptively; sensitivity to bias, prejudice and limitations of one's viewpoint. Intellectual humility depends on recognizing that one should not claim more than one actually knows. It does not imply spinelessness or submissiveness. It implies the lack of intellectual pretentiousness, boastfulness, or conceit, combined with insight into the logical foundations, or lack of such foundations, of one's beliefs.\"\nOf all the traits that the Center has adopted for critical thinkers, in my view, this is the gateway trait. When we acknowledge that we have barriers to reasoning due to egocentric thinking, it frees us to think without the restrictions of ego.\n"}]}

Top ▲