1y, Posted for: Whole Community

Thoughts on Going Deeper Podcast - Assumptions

Posted by: Mark Jones

{"ops":[{"attributes":{"bold":true},"insert":"The Analysis of Reasoning – Going Deeper: Assumptions"},{"attributes":{"align":"center"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"\nThe podcast on Assumptions takes the listener through assumptions as a concept and how they frequently underpin the inferences we make. Some of the key points that emerge include the following:\n\nAssumptions are beliefs that are taken for granted"},{"attributes":{"list":"bullet"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"Assumptions can be conscious or unconscious"},{"attributes":{"list":"bullet"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"Assumptions can be good (reasonable) or bad (unfounded)"},{"attributes":{"list":"bullet"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"Inferences are conclusions and are often underpinned by assumptions"},{"attributes":{"list":"bullet"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"Assumptions involve generalizations (e.g. prejudice) "},{"attributes":{"list":"bullet"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"\nBeing reminded of our ubiquitous use of assumptions should make us more alert to our own assumptions which, once recognized, can be examined for their accuracy. For example, what is the evidence for the truth of my assumption? Should it be qualified? Are there exceptions? How can my assumption be tested? While some assumptions may be reasonable, on reflection following this podcast I believe we would be more accurate and precise if we qualified our assumptions e.g. “as far as I know or understand”. This seems to also relate to the arguably safer use of “inductive” reasoning e.g. “I think….”, “It may be…” as opposed to “deductive” which is a statement of fact based on the premises it is based on even though the premises may someday be shown to be inaccurate or untrue. The literature on common cognitive biases has identified 30+ different variations of bias, each with their own name. For example, in healthcare “ascertainment bias” is the name given to “thinking shaped by prior assumptions and preconceptions, as occurs when patients are stereotyped. Rather than assigning distinct labels for each variation of bias, these would arguably be better situated in the context of the Elements of Thinking, in this case Assumptions.\n  \n"}]}

Comments

Posted by: Gerald Nosich

{"ops":[{"insert":"Hi Mark,\nYeah.\nI find that what I say is sometimes undermined in listener's minds by how often I say something like \"As far as I understand it, ...\" My words would be much more powerful if I just said things straight out, without a qualifier! And all I'd sacrifice is accuracy. (I was once conscripted to answer questions about people's lives on a radio show. Someone called in about a complex family issue and wanted to know what she could do about it. I said \"Well, I don't know the answer, but the best approach I could give you is to XYZ.\" The producers told me that the show got positive comments about me, but they didn't want me on it anymore. They said you should never answer a question with the words \"I don't know.\")\n\n"}]}

Top ▲