1y, Posted for: Whole Community

The Primary Ideas and My Understandings from "The Analysis of Reasoning: Going Deeper- Concepts" Podcast

Posted by: Linda Tym

{"ops":[{"attributes":{"color":"#222222"},"insert":"The primary organizing idea "},{"attributes":{"color":"#222222","bold":true},"insert":"\"The Analysis of Reasoning: Going Deeper - Concepts\" Podcast"},{"attributes":{"color":"#222222"},"insert":" is that the meaning of the words (concepts) we use every day is extremely significant. In other words, concepts and key words are “ideas in the mind” (Dr. Elder) and “a way to organize” our thoughts and communication (Dr. Nosich). Rather than assuming that the key terms in our thinking are obvious, we need to take the time to clarify what we mean when we say certain words. One way to do this is by asking ourselves key questions, such as: what do I mean by this word? When I use this word, what am I intending it "},{"attributes":{"color":"#222222","italic":true},"insert":"to do"},{"attributes":{"color":"#222222"},"insert":"? How does it function? In addition to clarifying our own understanding of the words we use, it’s also important to find the educated usage of a term to ensure that there is a shared understanding of concepts with others. "},{"insert":"\n\n"},{"attributes":{"color":"#222222"},"insert":"As a teacher of literature and language, this podcast was particularly interesting to me. A major goal of mine is to help students understand the significance of the words that we use – and take for granted – every day. Words not only shape our thinking, but also create our world. In other words, "},{"attributes":{"color":"#222222","italic":true},"insert":"how"},{"attributes":{"color":"#222222"},"insert":" we use language constructs our conversations, relationships, laws, social mores, cultural traditions, and belief systems. Specifically, the podcast gave me great insight into:"},{"insert":"\n\n"},{"attributes":{"color":"#222222"},"insert":"1. The significant difference between a concept’s definition and its usage. As Dr. Nosich said, when a concept is defined in a sentence, it becomes limited; however, when a person investigates "},{"attributes":{"color":"#222222","italic":true},"insert":"how a concept is used"},{"attributes":{"color":"#222222"},"insert":", then the word’s flexibility becomes clear and brings understanding. "},{"insert":"\n\n"},{"attributes":{"color":"#222222"},"insert":"2. The importance of using the Intellectual Standards in our own thinking. The ideas in our minds "},{"attributes":{"color":"#222222","italic":true},"insert":"do not "},{"attributes":{"color":"#222222"},"insert":"automatically have Standards attached to them. Because of our own egocentricity, it can be easy to assume that our ideas and meanings are accurate and the best. By using the Intellectual Standards to check our thinking, we can assess and strengthen the clarity, accuracy, and quality of our thinking."},{"insert":"\n\n"},{"attributes":{"color":"#222222"},"insert":"3. The relevance of concepts to my own thinking and behaviour. In other words, it’s important to ask: how do the ideas that I hold inside my mind motivate and push my behaviour? Becoming extremely aware of my own assumptions about ideas can help me to assess and to check my own behaviour not only towards myself, but also towards others. For example, if feeling tired, I might berate myself for not doing more (the concept of tired = lazy = bad). Alternatively, I could assess my own usage of that concept and discover that it is inaccurate. I could reframe my idea: the concept of tired = I’ve already worked hard = the need for rest = good. I could allow myself to rest. By acknowledging that I have an inaccurate idea of what tired means, I could change my thinking and, therefore, my behaviour. "},{"insert":"\n\nAfter watching the video, I have further questions, including: How can I practice using the Standards to examine the ideas that I hold more thoroughly? How can I better trace what I mean when I use certain words to ensure I see their flexibility in my thinking? How can I change my thinking so that I"},{"attributes":{"italic":true},"insert":" do the best I can"},{"insert":" in a situation, rather than becoming frustrated that I can’t change everything in a situation?  \n\nAs always, Dr. Nosich’s and Dr. Elder’s depth of discussion simply inspires me to delve more deeply into the theory of critical thinking and – more importantly – into how I practice it in my own mind and life.\n"}]}

Comments

Posted by: Gerald Nosich

{"ops":[{"insert":"Hi Linda,\nIt's uplifting to see how thorough and careful your analysis is.\nLet me comment on just a few aspects of it.\n"},{"attributes":{"italic":true},"insert":"Literature"},{"insert":". As you note, the cultural and social underpinnings of our words--and the connotations of those words--influences almost everything we see in literature. I remember a student of mine who insisted that Robert Jordan couldn't be the \"hero\" of "},{"attributes":{"italic":true},"insert":"For Whom the Bell Tolls"},{"insert":" because he was a "},{"attributes":{"italic":true},"insert":"communist"},{"insert":".\n\tOn another level, just the words we use in talking about literature need to be unpacked--by students, not just by the teacher. I mentioned \"hero\" a moment ago. In a well written novel, one with sympathetically depicted characters, it's hard not to see the \"protagonist\" as the \"hero.\" (It's not just the words, it's the way we view the story and then apply the words to it. I think egocentrism enters in a way because I think we put ourselves in the place of the main character and so see things through her eyes.)\n"},{"attributes":{"italic":true},"insert":"Words & concepts"},{"insert":". A very minor note. You talk about concepts being linked to our words. But it's better to use \"terms\" than \"words.\" \"Critical thinking\" is a concept but not a word; \"the denoument of World War II\" is also a concept.\n"},{"attributes":{"italic":true},"insert":"Lazy"},{"insert":". It's a great insight to see that tired does not mean lazy. In my own case, the more driven I am to accomplish something, the more likely I am to call myself lazy if, exhausted, I don't finish it. Really dysfunctional.\n"},{"attributes":{"italic":true},"insert":"Your penultimate paragraph"},{"insert":". For me, the best way to work through all three of your questions is with the standard of depth. If I ask myself--seriously ask myself--what are the complications in this situation or idea, it helps show up the oversimplifications in my thinking and my actions. Almost everything important has attendant complications built into it.\n"}]}

Top ▲