1y, Posted for: Whole Community

Examining “The Analysis of Reasoning: Going Deeper – Implications" Podcast

Posted by: Linda Tym

{"ops":[{"insert":"In the episode of “The Analysis of Reasoning: Going Deeper – Implications,” Dr. Elder and Dr. Nosich examine the primary idea of that implications are what follows logically. In other words, implications are what "},{"attributes":{"italic":true},"insert":"might "},{"insert":"happen or is likely to happen in a given context and, in the podcast, implications are carefully defined differently than consequences, which are what "},{"attributes":{"italic":true},"insert":"does"},{"insert":" happen in a certain situation. \n \n"},{"attributes":{"bold":true},"insert":"I gained the following insights:"},{"insert":"\n \n-       Dr. Elder and Dr. Nosich make an important point that implications are extremely wide ranging and cannot always be known; however, when we do our best reasoning, we should think through the logical, likely, and important implications. Although our own egocentric and sociocentric tendencies will lead us to focus on either what we "},{"attributes":{"italic":true},"insert":"want"},{"insert":" to have happen or what we most fear, by practicing thinking about implications in our daily lives, we can prepare to make stronger decisions in the moment. For example, the tendency towards bias within policing was brought up. Dr. Nosich suggested that if police were to engage in critical thinking about implications and assess potential implications "},{"attributes":{"italic":true},"insert":"before"},{"insert":" and "},{"attributes":{"italic":true},"insert":"after"},{"insert":" demanding situations, then actions made from a quick decision could be improved. \n-       The discussion about intuition and gut was particularly interesting to me because I know so many individuals who seem to make decisions based on their “gut feeling.” As Dr. Elder helpfully explained, intuition implies that a person has reached certain conclusions "},{"attributes":{"italic":true},"insert":"without"},{"insert":" conscious reasoning and that they’ve used the Intellectual Standards to do so. Dr. Elder emphasizes, however, that thinking with one’s “gut” "},{"attributes":{"italic":true},"insert":"does not"},{"insert":" imply the use of Intellectual Standards. Intuition may be an implicit process, but critical thinking makes it clear and explicit. In other words, rather than assuming that one’s intuition will be a guide, there are clear methods of reasoning that can be practiced regularly so that, in a moment of stress, a person has already built the response as a habit. Personally, I’ve found this to be an extremely helpful: practicing critical thinking "},{"attributes":{"italic":true},"insert":"before "},{"insert":"moments of great stress and anxietyenabled me to rely on the methods that I’ve already used and react differently than my natural instinct would be. \n-       Lastly, I found two separate points significant and relevant, although they weren’t discussed at the same time. The first was the discussion about the limitations of narrow, disciplinary-specific vocabulary and training and the importance of developing ourselves as generalists. In other words, taking time to learn about significant human understandings "},{"attributes":{"italic":true},"insert":"regardless"},{"insert":" of the discipline. For example, studying important ideas from philosophy, psychology, and politics, even though I am an English teacher. The second point was the discussion about how when we understand the role of implications, then we’re better able to think through logically what is possible. As Dr. Elder said, “the mind of the critical thinker sees possibilities.”\n\tMy own field is English; however, I’ve often thought that this is precisely the purpose of studying both literature "},{"attributes":{"italic":true},"insert":"and"},{"insert":" theory. In reading widely, a person can not only see a wide spectrum of implications and consequences based upon the thoughts and actions of characters in a text, but also learn about significant concepts and thinking from other disciplines. In other words, students of literature are given the opportunity and are encouraged to "},{"attributes":{"italic":true},"insert":"think through"},{"insert":" different points of view, implications, and consequences. The problem is, however, that the field of English assumes that the purpose of doing so is clear to students and that the method is explicit. It is not! Personally, that’s why I’ve found the Elements, Standards, and Virtues to be so incredibly helpful in my teaching because it is an explicit method of what the field claims to do. \n"},{"attributes":{"bold":true},"insert":" "},{"insert":"\n"},{"attributes":{"bold":true},"insert":"After watching the podcast, my questions are:"},{"insert":"\n"},{"attributes":{"bold":true},"insert":" "},{"insert":"\n-       After listening to the discussion about sociocentrism and the inadequacy of our affective forecasting, which addressed precisely why I find Critical Thinking so relevant to the Emotional Intelligence trend, I was wondering: How can I better assess my feelings and emotions and think through the implications of acting "},{"attributes":{"italic":true},"insert":"differently "},{"insert":"than may be expected in a family or community situation? \n-       In what ways can I better understand the consequences of a situation? In other words, in what ways and to what extent can I better assess what I am or am not responsible for in work or at home?\n-       I was once extremely methodical about my research and writing, but that practice waned over the years as I overly focused on my teaching. In what ways can I be more systematic in my own learning? \n\nYet again, the \"Going Deeper\" Podcast simply made me want to study critical thinking even more rigorously! \n"}]}

Comments

Posted by: Behnam Jafari

{"ops":[{"insert":"Thank you Linda for sharing your thoughts on Implications podcast. Reading through your writing, I became involved in your deep questions. \nIn Question 2, you raise a question that to what extent we are responsible for implications of our decisions. Do you find any answer for that? I am still assuming that we are responsible for all implications and in case of necessity we should just take its responsibility or ignoring. Again both have their own implications. \nI was also wondering if you could elaborate more on the difference between methodological and systematically learning? It seem you want to immigrate from an extreme to another?\n\nThank you \nBehnam\n"}]}

Posted by: Gerald Nosich

{"ops":[{"insert":"Hi Linda,\nYou end by raising three important questions. Let me briefly address them.\nOne, yes, humans are particularly inept when it comes to figuring out the reactions they will have when certain extraordinary situations occur. My examples (I'm not sure if I used these in the podcast) are (first) imagining--forecasting--how I would feel if I had to have my legs amputated and (second) the feelings of falling in love. In the first case I see myself as horrendously unhappy forever. There is a famous Australian song that says about having one's legs exploded in war: \"there are injuries that are worse than death.\" In the second case, people standardly see themselves as being deeply in love forever. That's different from loving someone. Falling in love has that euphoric feeling, and we imagine ourselves as living happily ever after.\n\tExamining my thoughts may be of only limited help, in part because the power and vividness of my imagining the future overwhelm many of the conclusions I come to. Psychological insight can easily miss the boat. One thing that helps is thinking not psychologically but sociologically. It is clear that very many people who are double amputees are quite happy with their lives. Quantitatively, double amputees have the same percentage of self-reported life satisfaction as people who have both legs. (So, despite what I think or imagine, that's likely to be true of me as well.) Similarly, very few people retain that euphoric feeling of falling in love for more than two years, and no one, as far as I can tell, lives a completely happy life ever after. (So, again despite my feelings, that's like to happen to \"us\" as well.)\n\tYour second question, about responsibility, is mo0re complicated, and I can give only the briefest response, just mentioning a factor or two. In contrast to the way we often think about other people, I see the biggest problem is not especially being irresponsible, it's tending to take on too much responsibility. (Even many people--not all--who act irresponsibly, do so in part because of the amount of responsibility they have taken on in the past.) So if something bad happens to someone I care about, and there is some action I could have taken that would have prevented it, I can feel responsible for the bad that occurred. (You let a child swing on the swings and she gets hurt: I shouldn't have let her go on by herself in the first place!) But that misses the critical thinking component. The question is not whether there is something I "},{"attributes":{"italic":true},"insert":"could"},{"insert":" have done, the question is whether I made a realistic assessment of the situation and considered the likelihood and costs of various outcomes. I'm responsible for X only if it would be clear to any rational agent that X was highly likely to occur, and that the risk of X was not worth it.\n\tYour third question, I can give only my own personal experience of teaching and learning. One of the sadnesses I feel about retiring from teaching, is that virtually everything I read, in any field, registered itself in me as something I could bring to my teaching. That can happen in a literature course as well. So, suppose you're having your students read a story or a novel involving peer pressure, and you yourself are interested in learning about how peer pressure works. You can read about it in a reliable source, including maybe experimentation that's been done (so not just "},{"attributes":{"italic":true},"insert":"Wikipedia"},{"insert":"). You can then bring your learning to the teaching. That would add a new layer of depth to the reading of literature. Related to that, you might find a well-written primary source on peer pressure (like Stanley Milgram's experiments) and have student's read it as a piece of literature (not, perhaps, Literature--but literature).\n"}]}

Posted by: Gerald Nosich

{"ops":[{"insert":"Benham, if I understand you, I think the answer you give to Linda's Question 2 is too stringent. There are implications of our beliefs and actions that are "},{"attributes":{"italic":true},"insert":"impossible"},{"insert":" to know ahead of time. (Remember the chaos-theory saying that the beating of a butterfly's wings in Tokyo can change the weather pattern in Texas. That's a consequence rather than an implication, but the same thing holds.) You are not responsible for what happens if you couldn't reasonably have foreseen it.\n"}]}

Top ▲