1y, Posted for: Whole Community

Thoughts on (Ep. 17) Intellectual Virtues: Going Deeper - Overview & Intellectual Empathy

{"ops":[{"insert":"Insights from the video:\n\nThere seems to be a connection between the elements, standards and virtues and the 3 levels of first-order, second-order and ternary cybertnetics ( "},{"attributes":{"link":"https://web.archive.org/web/20161021092049/http://hfr.org.uk/ternality-pages/index.htm"},"insert":"https://web.archive.org/web/20161021092049/http://hfr.org.uk/ternality-pages/index.htm"},{"insert":" )"},{"attributes":{"list":"bullet"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"Standards - what you are doing"},{"attributes":{"indent":1,"list":"ordered"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"Elements - what you are doing it on"},{"attributes":{"indent":1,"list":"ordered"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"Traits - what you are doing it for"},{"attributes":{"indent":1,"list":"ordered"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"On intellectual curiosity"},{"attributes":{"list":"bullet"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"It has become my understanding after reading much about information theory that ultimately all actions are aimed at satisfying some level of intellectual curiosity, wanting to know what it’s like to x. Intellectual seem to realize this more and seek information more than sensations."},{"attributes":{"indent":1,"list":"bullet"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"For instance some people \"want to be rich\", what they mean is they want to know what it's like to be rich, or they want to know what it's like to own and travel in their 100 millions dollar yacht with gold plated walls and stuff."},{"attributes":{"indent":1,"list":"bullet"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"Intellectuals tend to prefer to have understanding over sensations, to have the awe of understanding rather than the awe of ignorance."},{"attributes":{"indent":1,"list":"bullet"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"It can be guessed that the rich industrial who take a trip on is 100 millions dollar yacht have more the awe of ignorance over his yacht than the awe of understanding since he probably knows nothing about nautical navigation or boat architecture or design and stuff, so he can only partially and superficially appreciate it."},{"attributes":{"indent":1,"list":"bullet"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"Intellectual virtues seem to be about recognizing the beingness and value of others and of self. Similar to “love”."},{"attributes":{"list":"bullet"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"Curiosity seem to be linked to intellectual humility and knowing about our ignorance."},{"attributes":{"list":"bullet"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"Saying it in our own words is probably more \"right-brain\" thinking than left."},{"attributes":{"list":"bullet"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"Intellectual empathy is connected to spy work as spies must pretend to have the ideology of their enemy in order to infiltre him, or must \"act as\" a phone repair man or janitor or a plumber or whatever."},{"attributes":{"list":"bullet"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"\nPeter singer’s argument appears like it couild apply to people with great skills or great knowledge as well, as they should also share part of these with people who don't have them."},{"attributes":{"list":"bullet"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"“Sharing the wealth” “happiness shared is happiness doubled”"},{"attributes":{"indent":1,"list":"bullet"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"\nFear of rationality, logical force/coertion, can be wrong, mistrust of reason"},{"attributes":{"list":"bullet"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"Ex: People killing themselves in the seine river in Paris after reading depressing philosophical books [need reference, can't find it on google for some reason] "},{"attributes":{"indent":1,"list":"bullet"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"Also, a main sssumptions people may have about mistrust of reason: “I’m too weak-minded and gullible”"},{"attributes":{"indent":1,"list":"bullet"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"-> intellectual courage"},{"attributes":{"indent":1,"list":"bullet"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"-> Confidence in reason "},{"attributes":{"indent":1,"list":"bullet"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"On persuasion"},{"attributes":{"list":"bullet"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"There seems to be a kind of non-rational, charisma-like “sway” some people can have on other, reverence/respect etc"},{"attributes":{"indent":1,"list":"bullet"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"\nSalient actionnable Tips from the video:\nIn an argument, say it from the point of view of the other and ask if the rendition is accurate"},{"attributes":{"list":"bullet"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"Let’s each argue from the other’s point of view for 20 minutes"},{"attributes":{"list":"bullet"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"\nQuestions:\nAny argument/counter-arguments or comments on the insights mentionned."},{"attributes":{"list":"bullet"},"insert":"\n"}]}

Comments

Posted by: Gerald Nosich

{"ops":[{"insert":"Hi Nick,\nLet me respond only to the first part of your comments.\nIn the first part of your comments, I think you overestimate the centrality of curiosity. You can "},{"attributes":{"italic":true},"insert":"say"},{"insert":" that the guy who wants to be rich just wants to satisfy his curiosity about what it's like to be rich. But I don't see any reason to believe it. I think he wants the pleasures that can come from being rich. If I'm falling off a cliff, it's not my curiosity that I want to be satisfied, it's my desire not to die. (This, by the way, is more in accord with seeing humans as just another kind of animal. The best way to explain animal behavior is not usually in terms of their curiosity. With both them and us, we tend to have strong needs and desires associated with items higher on Maslow's hierarchy of needs.\nBest,\nGerald\n"}]}

Top ▲