305d, Posted for: Whole Community

Thoughts on Podcast: (Ep. 16) Intellectual Standards: Going Deeper - How Egocentric and Sociocentric Thinking Divert Us from Using Intellectual Standards

Posted by: Linda Tym

{"ops":[{"insert":"The primary organizing ideas in Episode 16 of this podcast are the examination of how we too often use egocentric and sociocentric standards instead of intellectual standards in our thinking. In other words, we tend to prioritize the needs and wants of ourselves (egocentricism) or of our groups (sociocentricism) above the needs and wants of others and these selfish standards can interrupt our process of critical thinking. For example, we may use a standards such as “it’s true because I believe it,” rather than assessing the accuracy, relevance, or fairness of our thinking. \n \nI learned the following insights from watching the video:\n \n-       These internal and unconscious processes of egocentrism and sociocentrism can prevent us from achieving our capacity as critical thinkers. Specifically, I found two points made extremely relevant: that we can be locked within our group logic and that if we crave validation, then we may not achieve our capacity as individuals. Personally, I have seen these two factors within my own life. Within my family, my work, and my religion, I’ve found myself, too often, pulled into ways of thinking that are taught and reinforced simply because “it’s true because we’ve always believed it.” I also find that when I’m pulled into those ways of thinking, then I often feel rather desperate for validation from others. I’m deliberately using the passive voice in my description because – until I began studying critical thinking – I didn’t realize the sway that group thinking had upon affirming my own egocentrism. My own egocentrism was reinforced and strengthened within my groups. I must admit that when I began studying critical thinking, I assumed that identification of the problems in my habits of mind was the major step to eradicating the problems. I’ve come to realize over the years, however, that these unconscious processes are deeply embedded within me. It’s not a matter of identification and elimination, but rather a process of working through the multiple ways that my mind deviates from fairness and accuracy. I must take the long view of my own development. Also, this is why the intellectual standards are so valuable because they give clear tools I can use to excavate my own egocentric and sociocentric patterns of thought and I can use to improve my thinking slowly over time.\n \n-       We have an innate fear of intellectual conflict and we desire to avoid it. If we want to avoid intellectual conflict because it disturbs us, then that’s an indication that our ego has entered into our thinking. In many ways, this relates to my first insight about group logic and self-validation because I’ve found intellectual conflict particularly difficult if it’s tied to group assumptions about particular behaviours (as though a behaviour demonstrates the validity of a belief). That said, the more I’ve developed my intellectual autonomy and confidence in reason through critical thinking, the less fearful I am of encountering intellectual conflict. Because my whole identity is no longer tied to each specific thought or belief, I don’t fear being around people who think differently because I know I’m able to rethink and to reframe my thoughts as needed. The more I’ve focused on clarifying and evaluating my own thoughts and beliefs, the less nervous I am about my ability to reason through intellectual conflict. \n \n-       A third insight I gained was the discussion between Nosich and Elder on the importance of being realistic about our own capacities and the problem of telling people to “follow their dreams.” As an educator, I find this a difficult, but important balance point when working with students: to encourage them to hope and to have goals, but also to be realistic. I find this in my own life too. I’m often idealistic about what should be possible and then can belittle myself for not “achieving” those goals. Slowly, I’m learning to not compare myself with the arbitrary goals and standards that academia or society has and, instead, to use critical thinking tools to assess my thinking, to be (more) patient with my own intellectual growth, and to be realistic with timelines. \n \nAfter watching the podcast, my questions are: \n-       After the discussion on capacity and being realistic, I’m curious: how does a person better identify their capacity and then best develop their will to achieve that capacity?\n-       How can I practice identifying my neediness sooner and become better at stopping it?\n-       How can I stop “mustivating” about others in my life and, instead, focus on my own thoughts and actions? \n"}]}

Comments

Posted by: Gerald Nosich

{"ops":[{"insert":"Hi Linda,\n\nI am very impressed by the way your responses are full of profound insights (though it's possible that I find them so profound because I share in my own life so many of the issues you raise in relation to yours).\n\nLet me comment just a little.\n\nIn your third paragraph, you say how you've realized that it's not just a matter of identifying and eliminating, but rather it's a matter of working through the way your mind deviates from fairness and accuracy. That seems to me exactly right. I would add that the working through may take years. Also I would add that a person needs to work through the positives of the ways their minds apply accuracy and fairness. Those positive applications can be as enlightening as the recognition of the deviations. Also, it can give us an excellent way to get validation--not from others, maybe, but from our best selves. (By the way, apologies to the English teacher for my saying \"person/they.\"\n\nI'm not sure about the innate fear of intellectual conflict. I came up in Analytic Philosophy and I encountered many people who seemed to glory and flourish in intellectual conflict. But I really get the way you moved to your identity being caught up in each individual thought or belief. I think that insight allows you to step outside of the fray and see people and their thoughts and beliefs as just facts about the world, not necessarily have any impact on you yourself. I think I see that you are applying that to your own thoughts and beliefs in the past: \"Ah That's what I believed then. With all the flaws in me, I was doing the best I could with what I had to work with. I can be fairminded with my past selfs.\" \n\nI'm going to jump ahead to your questions now (your third insight is related to your first question). So this is about capacity and being realistic. I think I see the issue differently from the way you say it here. I think that we, humans, have a number of values that are highly important to us. The important words are \""},{"attributes":{"italic":true},"insert":"a number"},{"insert":".\" Meaning: not just one or two. [For example: if personal freedom is the only value, then libertarians are right: Sacrifice everything to achieve personal liberty. But it's simple-minded. Kindness is also a value. So is maximizing human welfare. So is...]\n\nSo: Take identifying my capacities and then trying best to achieve the goals that align with those capacities. That's only one value. Even if I have the capacity to be a great concert pianist, it doesn't mean I should work toward that as a goal. There are other things in life. Do I have a family? Is it beneficial to practice 8 hours a day? Is being a celebrated concert pianist worth all the anxiety that produces? And if "},{"attributes":{"italic":true},"insert":"is"},{"insert":" worth it as the applause sets in, is it worth it next week when I can't re-create the feeling of the applause I received? (A great football coach at LSU said: \"When you win, you feel elated for a day! When you lose, you feel miserable for a week.\" Is it reasonable to fulfill my capacities at prices like that?)\n\nI believe something similar about neediness. For me, the problem is that I tend to feel shame about feeling needy. I say: I should not be needy! But I don't make such draconian judgments about others, particularly not about other I care deeply about. I think: \"Oh. X is feeling needy. What can I do to help her?\" Stepping outside my own egocentricity and the way I was brought up, I should do that with myself as well. \n\nBest,\nGerald\n"}]}

Top ▲